Things to Do
Hiking Shuttle Rates
Image may be subject to copyright
Turner Bend celebrated its 100 year anniversary in 2011 throughout its long history Turner Bend has had only two owners. The Turner family followed by the Wimberlys.
A timeline of history:
Osage Indians occupy Mulberry River Valley
Cherokee Indians use property after Louisiana Purchase
1st Turner clan came from Tennessee in 1830
Elias Turner arrived in 1848. Elias served in the Confederate Army and later was a member of the 1879 Arkansas Legislature
1900 the first bridge was built across the Mulberry River
1911 William Eli Turner built a store at the south end of the original bridge
1935-36 the new Mulberry River Bridge was built and the 1st store burned
Turner family built another store just south of the present location
Champ Turner and his sister opened the new store during CC camp days
1939 Champ married Flora Coleman and took over operation of the store
Champ joined the army during WWII and they closed the store. Flora and Champ moved to different Army bases and had two children, Gary & Lonnie.
1946 Champ left the Army and he and Flora reopened the store. Their 3rd son, Paul was born in 1947.
1950 Champ bought an old house in Cass, tore it down and built a bedroom and bathroom on the back of the store
1950's people began canoeing the Mulberry River
Champ and Flora continued to operate the store until 1978 when Champ died of cancer
1980 the Mulberry River was classified as a "navigable" river
1981 Brad Wimberly bought Turner Bend from the Turner family. Wimberly moved into the back of the old store and started renting canoes.
1986-1987 Wimberly built the existing store. Campground expansion, cabin rentals, and further improvements follow
20034 N HWY 23, Ozark, Arkansas
© 2021. All Rights Reserved. Turner Bend
Lodging Website Design & Reservation Software